Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pinewood Derby Days!

Holy Crap! We won a race!

The past few years of pinewood derby's have been sad ones for the Hatch family. Mostly for Christopher.




Although we have built some good looking cars, I just could not help Chris put together a winning car. In the picture above, Christopher's car is the good looking black truck in 3rd place. That was the best finish we ever had in any heat in three years of derby's.

We have been so consistently bad that we took special efforts with Preston to prep him for loosing. We sat him down the night before and tried to explain that the Derby is mostly about having fun and not about winning.

Well after several years of utter failure we have finally entered a winner! Who would have thought a happy go lucky sponge from the sea would take top honors at this year's races. Preston did most of the work himself on the car. He had the idea and I helped him find the right pic of Spongebob.

We could not believe the car was winning. I even had dads come up and ask what our secret was. The problem is, I don't know what the secret was. That worries me since I am sure Preston now expects to have a fast car next year.


Sizing up the competition!



Spongebob by a Nose!

The winners circle!



Way to go Preston...and dad :)

6 comments:

debi said...

NICE GOING GUYS!!!!!

The Kelly's said...

Yeah! Oh the pressures of Pinewood Derby! Ours is coming up in June and we are stressin. We have had the opposite luck. Harrison won either first or second every year so Jackson was expecting the same magic from Dad. Uho! No such luck last year. Cross your fingers this year!

The Kelly's said...

Love the sponge bob car by the way!!! Nice paint job. We can appreciate the time and effort that takes. Jackson's whale only made it half way through production when he ran out of desire.

jsabbott6 said...

Congrats Aaron on your pinewood Derby Win...Oh I mean Preston :)

Tiffany said...

Woohoo!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mr. Preston. I think you need to choose a better sponsor next time. I heard Lion-O may be available.